[Sca-cooks] Re: seving wenches

she not atamagajobu at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 22 11:56:49 PDT 2005

" Edward swept the offending garment form the floor, and put it on his own leg, "
Hmm..you're probably right..I remembered the story as '"He put it on himself," and have clearly been laboring under a misapprehension all these years- the whole thing makes more sense that way...thanks, Capt Elias!  It's actually worth embarassing myself to get that cleared up!

.. if they weren't rude and crude, why do ettiquete books have to tell diners not to scratch their privates before sticking their hand in a common dish or blow their noses on the tablecloth?

Well, considering that most of the ettiquete books were aimed at seven
to eleven year old boys, what do you think?

I think they referred to existing rude/crude behavior in order to illustrate polite behavior for persons aspiring to conduct themselves honorably in public.

> (according to "1066 and all that",
Er. You don't really believe '1066 and all that' is non-fiction, do you?

-- ER...no..it's humour..and mea culpa, the actual translation offered  for honi soit qui mal y pense was the painfully puniferous "honey, your silk stocking's falling down." The reference was a joke, and I mentioned the incident just to point out that lewdness was universal, if not universally acceptable behavior. I'll try to remember not to make jokes when I should be going to bed..

gisele

"all men are intrinsical rascals, and I am only sorry that not being a dog I can't bite them."   Lord Byron