[Sca-cooks] Happy Passover!

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Apr 23 12:54:31 PDT 2005

Hullo, the list!

For those that celebrate it (and I do, sort of, at least in the form
of attending a Seder at least once every year), may your festival of
unleavened bread (hello, topic of spiritual significance of bread!)
be a blessed and happy one, and may we all find the freedom we seek.

As the household hosting the Seder I'm attending aren't conservative,
I'm bringing the fish. Per the request of my hostess, this will be
gravlax. She had spoken glibly a few weeks ago of getting hold of
salmon fillet at one of the local gourmet shops in her area -- lovely
seafood but ridiculously expensive -- for a mere $14.95 a pound. I
was shocked by this, and offered to scout out whole salmon or sides
at any of several Chinese fish markets I shop at, figuring there was
no way in the world salmon fillet would cost more than $7 or $8 a
pound, and probably a lot less than that, probably more like 4 or 5
dollars a pound. We then decided it made no sense for me to locate
salmon for gravlax and make a separate trip to their house in
sufficient advance to make gravlax there, the plan morphed into my
making the gravlax. I spent a two-year period making it in quantity
about three times a week, so this was nothing new to me.  At the
first shop I entered, the one that's within walking distance of my
home, I asked them if they had any whole, unportioned salmon fillet
(they had single portions of skinless, boneless salmon fillet for
$4.99/lb. They said. "No!" I asked if they had any whole salmon, and
if I could buy a side. They said, "...uh, maybe... but if you buy the
whole fish it'll be cheaper." They brought out a fairly monstrous
eleven-pound salmon, which they weighed out and announced the whole
thing would cost me just under $29. They then filleted it for me with
more skill than I've ever seen before, including picking out the
little pin bones with tweezers, and sent me home with about eight
pounds of fillet, beautifully trimmed, scaled and boned, and the
split head, gills trimmed out, and the bones, in a separate bag.

So I think I got a better deal than $14.95 a pound for fillets. Now
all we have to do is figure out what to do with over six pounds of
gravlax.

Anybody else doing the Passover thing, and cooking anything interesting?

Once again, a happy holiday week to all!

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04