[Sca-cooks] French Confectionery Manual

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 24 17:49:24 PDT 2005

Has anyone ever seen a copy of Le Bastiment de Receptes? It's the
French translation, published in 1541, of a Venetian confectionery
manual (name unknown to me) which was published a few months
earlier... Or for that matter, if anyone knows of that Venetian
confectionery manual... but i at least can read French...

I'm reading a French history of cookbooks and cuisine - Culture and
Cuisine by Jean-Francois Revel - and it is, naturally, rather heavy
on the French books and rather light on any others, but, then, it's
clear that for the author the best cuisine is French. In it i've
found the titles of a number of "period" French cookbooks that i
hadn't heard of before and that are not on Thomas Gloning's site,
other than mention in his bibliographies.
--
Urtatim, formerly Anahita