[Sca-cooks] salmon and gravlax

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Apr 24 21:01:18 PDT 2005

Adamantius mentioned buying some salmon:
> They brought out a fairly monstrous
> eleven-pound salmon, which they weighed out and announced the whole
> thing would cost me just under $29. They then filleted it for me with
> more skill than I've ever seen before, including picking out the
> little pin bones with tweezers, and sent me home with about eight
> pounds of fillet, beautifully trimmed, scaled and boned, and the
> split head, gills trimmed out, and the bones, in a separate bag.

So, what do you do with the split head and the bones? I assume you are
saying they trimmed off the gills and threw them away. Or did you get
the gills?

> So I think I got a better deal than $14.95 a pound for fillets. Now
> all we have to do is figure out what to do with over six pounds of
> gravlax.

Yes, definitely a better deal. Was this a wild or a farm raised salmon?

We've talked about gravlax here before, but I don't remember any
specific directions on making it. Since you've done this, could you
detail what is involved? Can you make gravlax from any fish or just
from salmon?

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------