[Sca-cooks] salmon and gravlax

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Apr 25 03:24:48 PDT 2005

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>So, what do you do with the split head and the bones? I assume you
>are saying they trimmed off the gills and threw them away. Or did
>you get the gills?

I meant that the gills ought to be removed to make the rest of the
head usable. They tend to produce bitter, gamy flavors in stocks made
with fish heads. This is pretty much true of all fish... for salmon
heads, especially, you probably want to be really careful about not
letting a stock actually boil. The heads contain a lot of fat, and if
you boil a stock made from them you risk getting a cloudy stock with
some pretty powerful, fishy flavors.

>>So I think I got a better deal than $14.95 a pound for fillets. Now
>>all we have to do is figure out what to do with over six pounds of
>>gravlax.
>
>Yes, definitely a better deal. Was this a wild or a farm raised salmon?

It was farmed. There's actually been a nationwide scandal and a
number of high-profile investigations in a number of cities in the
past year or so concerning retailers selling "wild salmon" at over
$20/lb in some cases, when the product was in fact farm-raised. The
beauty of the gravad process is that it adds a lot of flavor to famed
salmon, and the fact that it's farmed is indistinguishable to all but
the most sensitive connoisseurs. Half of whom are talking through
their hat anyway ;-).

>We've talked about gravlax here before, but I don't remember any
>specific directions on making it. Since you've done this, could you
>detail what is involved? Can you make gravlax from any fish or just
>from salmon?

Well, the "lax" part of the word is species-specific. Lox/Lax/Lachs
is a word used in Germanic and Scandinavian languages to denote,
specifically, salmon. But you can make gravad trout or char, or use
the process with just about any rich, fatty fish. I hear tuna is
great that way. I don't know that gravflounder is such a good idea,
but you could make quite a striking platter of gravlax alongside
arctic char, Pacific "rock" or "black" cod (which isn't really cod),
sablefish (IOW, the fresh fish from which smoked sable is made), all
also known in our fickle fish marketing system in the US as "Chilean
Sea Bass", cured in the same way. That particular fish is an
impressive, cream-white shade, even when raw, and as rich as salmon.

  A related process is used for Greenland shark in Iceland to produce
hakaarl, everyone's favorite "fermented"/"rotten" shark dish for
culture-affirming, xenophobic,
"let's-make-fun-of-foreigners-and-their-wacky-eating-habits"
purposes, and as such provides a useful service ;-). But for the most
part, hakaarl is an exception to the rule since the process is taken
quite a bit farther than it usually is for gravlax.

I've provided a recipe elsewhere; let me know if you don't find it.
The process for making gravlax (a.k.a. "buried salmon", or shark,
char, trout, or whatever) is probably thousands of years old, and
seems to originate in the act of burying fish in the sand above the
high tide line at sea and lake shores above the Arctic Circle, where
it can be cold-preserved by the permafrost without really freezing,
and where excess moisture drains off into the sand. To keep the sand
off the fish, and coincidentally adding flavor in the process, you
use young branches from nearby evergreen trees or herbs to wrap the
fish. Salt and pepper hasten the curing process, keep burrowing
insects away, and add flavor, while sugar tenderizes the final
product and also adds flavor.

I don't know if Icelanders today make hakaarl in their fridges, or if
it is still buried in the sand, wrapped in spruce branch tips, but
the key difference when making hakaarl versus gravlax is in leaving
the fish to cure until enzymes in the fish begin to break it down,
degrading the muscle fibers and creating a cheesy consistency. For
gravlax you don't do this, and the desired texture is closer to that
of raw or cold-smoked fish.

HTH,

Adamantius

eat cake!"