[Sca-cooks] Paper twists of spice (Was spice storage)

Christina L Biles bilescl at okstate.edu
Fri Apr 29 08:00:58 PDT 2005

> The trick with the paper funnel is impressive, and old-school retailers
can do
> it without glue. However, I doubt it is period.

###I agree.  Paper wasn't all that cheap during the Middle
Ages/Renaissance.

Paper twists of spice show up in early seventeenth century Dutch art.  I
haven't got a pre-1600 image yet, but I'm still looking.
This one dates to 1627:
http://www.rijksmuseum.nl/aria/aria_assets/SK-A-4646?lang=en

I have another from 1615 from a still life by Clara Peeters (the one with
the flat wedding tart with rosemary & gold charms) that I can't find
online at the moment.

-Magdalena da Cadamosto