[Sca-cooks] Paper twists of spice (Was spice storage)

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 29 11:03:14 PDT 2005

But how do you know that is paper and not a shell of some sort?  There are several other kinds
of shells depicted.  This could be a shell that has been cut specifically to be some sort of
container or scoop.

Huette

--- Christina L Biles <bilescl at okstate.edu> wrote:
> > The trick with the paper funnel is impressive, and old-school retailers
> can do
> > it without glue. However, I doubt it is period.
>
> ###I agree.  Paper wasn't all that cheap during the Middle
> Ages/Renaissance.
>

> Paper twists of spice show up in early seventeenth century Dutch art.  I
> haven't got a pre-1600 image yet, but I'm still looking.
> This one dates to 1627:
> http://www.rijksmuseum.nl/aria/aria_assets/SK-A-4646?lang=en
>
> I have another from 1615 from a still life by Clara Peeters (the one with
> the flat wedding tart with rosemary & gold charms) that I can't find
> online at the moment.
>

> -Magdalena da Cadamosto

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for
they shall never cease to be amused.