[Sca-cooks] Re: chocolate

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Apr 5 23:07:01 PDT 2005

  Elisabetta mentioned:
> My chocolate research indicated that chocolate was available to
> everyone (not
> just nobility) as a spice and drink before 1600, but in very limited
> areas.

Hmmm. "available to everyone"? Yet  "in very limited areas"? Perhaps
this depends upon how far down you go in the social ranks from
nobility. But since the chocolate has to be imported, I wonder how its
use could go deep across the social ranks and yet still be narrow
geographically. Upon what are you basing your statement?

> St. Esprit, the Jewish ghetto of Bayonne, France
> Bralizian colonies, both French (like Recife, 1550s?) and Porteguese
> Mexico

Portuguese "Mexico"? I thought the Portuguese were only in Brazil?

> These treatise, and trade manifests, are what I am
> interested in, because they will at least prove that people were
> eating a form
> of chocolat prior to 1600 in Europe.

If I remember correctly, some other evidence for chocolate use *in*
Europe has been given on this list in the past. You might want to take
a glance at this Florilegium file:
chocolate-msg     (69K)  6/19/04    History and description of early
chocolate.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/chocolate-msg.html

> Where I have not found any proof of pre-1600 use of chocolate in
> Italy, there
> are history rumors that Spanish Jews who moved to both Holland and
> Italy
> brought the chocolate recipes with them, and that a chocolate
> bread-type cake
> might have existed pre-1600 in Italy.

Interesting. I thought such use would have to wait until the
development of milk chocolate well out of period. Any idea if this
would have been done by adding ground up chocolate nibs to the
bread/cake or whether it was supposed to have been done by adding the
brewed chocolate drink to the bread/cake? It might well be that one of
these (or both?) techniques wouldn't work.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com