[Sca-cooks] Book Questions...

margaret m.p.decker at att.net
Wed Apr 6 16:11:47 PDT 2005

The Food Chronology is a history timeline with brief entries on a year by
year basis.  Tannahill's Food in History and Toussaint-Samat's History of
Food are historical surveys, broad coverage, but little depth.
Toussaint-Samat organizes the work for greater depth than Tannahill, but has
a Franco-centric view.  Flandrin and Montanari's (editors) Food: a Culinary
History is a translation (overseen by Sonnenfeld) of their French edition
and is a collection of scholarly essays on culinary history.  While the
scope of the book is world-wide, the essays are limited in scope and provide
academic depth, which explains the vocabulary.

All of these books contain errors, so if you are using them for research,
check the sources and the facts.

Bear