[Sca-cooks] Book Questions...

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 6 12:15:40 PDT 2005

As I librarian, I would not recommend spraying
liquid of any sort on the pages of the books
unless you want them to warp and become
ruined.  Baking soda is fine.  I have also
heard of placing fabric softener sheets between
the pages, although I have never tried this.

You have never smelled horrible smells unless
you have recieved a book from India what has
sat for a long time in the cargo hold of a
merchant freighter and also been fumigated
with insecticides.  In the library were I
worked, opening packages from India was
considered hazardous duty.

Huette
--- Pat <mordonna22 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> If you have a well ventilated room, or if
> weather in your area permits you to air them
> out on the porch you might try this:
> Make a very dilute mixture of lemon juice or
> vinegar and water.  Spritz each page with the
> mix, then spread to dry in a well ventilated
> area.  Alternately, you might place each book
> in a gallon size baggie with about a tablespoon
> of baking soda, and shake well to coat each
> page, then spread in a well ventilated area.
>
> Mordonna <who quit smoking on Dec. 1, 2005>
>

> lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
>

> QUESTION TWO
>
> Additionally, I had no idea that the previous
> owner, an SCA
> acquaintance, smoked until i got The Chronology
> and both volumes of
> _Take a Thousand Eggs or More_ which i also
> bought from her, home (i
> picked them up at an event and didn't crack
> them open there). They
> smell like much-used ashtrays. Anyone know of a
> way to get rid of the
> nasty tobacco smoke odor? It's giving me a
> stuffed nose and itchy
> eyes.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Urtatim, formerly Anahita
>

> Pat Griffin
> Lady Anne du Bosc
> known as Mordonna the Cook
> Shire of Thorngill, Meridies
> Mundanely, Millbrook, AL

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for
they shall never cease to be amused.