[Sca-cooks] Romany in Spain

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Thu Apr 7 07:51:40 PDT 2005

Stefan li Rous wrote:

Thanks for your response.

> Vincenzo asked me:
> >
> > > You might also throw the Rom (Gypsies) into this,
> > > since they had a major influence on Spanish dance
> > > and probably other cultural areas.
> >
> > How early are you envisioning the Romany in Spain?
>
>  From the Gypsies-msg file in the Florilegium:
>
> > According to a book I have, 'The Gypsies', by
> > Jean-Paul Clebert (pub. Penguin, my edition 1970),
> > the Gitanos are actually one of the the three main
> > Groups of Gypsies (the others are the Kalderash and
> > the Manuchs, called Manouches in France), called
> > Gitans in France.
> >
> > The dates Clebert gives for the appearance of
> > Gypsies in Europe are:
> >
> > 855?            Byzantium
> > 1260 (or 1399?) Bohemia
> > 1322?           Crete
> > 1346            Corfu
> > 1348            Serbia
> > 1378            The Pelopennese, Zagreb
> > 1414            Basle
> > 1417            Transylvania, Moldavia, The Elbe
> > 1418            Saxony, Augsburg
> > 1419            France, Sisteron
> > 1420?           Denmark
> > 1422            Bologna, Rome
> > 1427            Paris
> > 1430 (or 1440?) Wales
> > 1447            Barcelona
> > 1492 (or 1505)  Scotland
> > 1500            Russia
> > 1509            Poland
> > 1515            Sweden
> >
> > He notes that these dates mark the *'official'*
> > appearance of Gypsies, and doesn't necessarily
> > mean they were not already there.
>
>  From the Gypsie-timeline-art file:
>
> > 1425 A.D.  Roma are recorded in Zaragoza, Spain.
> > 1492 A.D.  The first anti-Gypsy laws are passed in Spain.
>
> Stefan

Those are good timelines.

I had heard that the Rom had not left India until the
1400's -- based on language analysis.  (but I have no
supporting research)

I consulted with my buddy Google by asking where I could read
about, 'Gypsies|romany language timeline' -- too bad that I
don't have enough time today (or any other day <g> ... as one
of my sig lines notes) to read all of the 8,540 citations.

>From this one, "Roma Information From Answers.com";
http://www.answers.com/topic/roma-people

	The Roma are believed to have left India about
	AD 1000 and to have passed through what is now
	Afghanistan, Persia, Armenia, and Turkey.

I also asked my buddy Google, "Spain Moslem timeline" ...
and received 3,560 citations ... including,

"Timeline Spain thru 1899";
http://timelines.ws/countries/SPAIN_A.HTML

Quoting two key excerpts ...

711     Jul 9, Berbers under Tarik-ibn Ziyad occupied
	Northern Spain. The Umayyads with the help of the
	Berbers in North Africa moved across the Strait
	of Gibraltar and began the conquest of Spain and
	Portugal. The Berber leader Tarik crossed the
	Strait of Gibraltar and began the Muslim conquest
	of Spain. The word Gibraltar comes from the term
	Jabal-al-Tarik, which means the hill of Tarik.
	Gebel-al-Tarik means “Rock of Tarik.”

1212    Jul 16, Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa marked the
	end of Muslim power in Spain.

My main concern was that someone would think that the
Arabs and the Roma were in Spain at the same time.

In like fashion ... just because we can document chocolate
and coffee to some time around the 1600's doesn't mean the
Irish monks sipped Cappuccino while scribing or
illuminating the Lindisfarne Gospels or the Book of Kells.

Incidentally, that second search led to finding,

"Timelines of History";
http://timelines.ws/

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

So much wisdom and knowledge -- so little time and bandwidth.
--Vincenzo

"Thou plenty hast, yet me dost scant"
--John Dowland (1562-1626); "The First Booke of Songs"; 1597.

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
--inspired by P. K. Dick

Visit my online gallery: Renderosity, a 3D Artist's Community
http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD