[Sca-cooks] More Artichoke/Cardoon

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Apr 7 11:04:46 PDT 2005

Also sprach lilinah at earthlink.net:
>According to
>http://gears.tucson.ars.ag.gov/book/chap6/artichoke.html
>
>"Cardoon (Cynara cardunculus L.) is similar to artichoke except that
>it is spiny and more robust. It is cultivated, on a much smaller
>scale than artichoke, for its edible root and thickened leafstalk.
>The inflorescence and pollination relationships are similar to
>artichoke (Bailey 1949*)."
>
>At a cooking workshop at Duke Cariadoc's some among us cooked
>cardoon leaves from His Grace's garden.
>
>But if that quote is true, one eats the roots (and possibly the
>stalk), not the leaves...
>
>Anyone with more experience care to comment?
>--
>Urtatim, formerly Anahita

I'd say that the statement that one eats the leafstalks but not the
leaves is akin to the statement that one eats the leaf base and not
the leaf tips of a mature globe artichoke...

Think of taking a globe artichoke and streee-eee-tching it until it's
as long as a head of celery, but otherwise fairly similar in
structure. That's your cardoon. You still eat the base of the leaves
(the leaf tips are fibrous and don't have much in the way of pulp)
and the "heart", which in the case of real cardoons, is part of the
root.

I don't have a lot of cardoon experience, but I've seen them in
markets, chased people obscenely with them. You know. The usual.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04