[Sca-cooks] More Artichoke/Cardoon

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Apr 8 23:51:55 PDT 2005

>Also sprach lilinah at earthlink.net:
>>According to
>>http://gears.tucson.ars.ag.gov/book/chap6/artichoke.html
>>
>>"Cardoon (Cynara cardunculus L.) is similar to artichoke except
>>that it is spiny and more robust. It is cultivated, on a much
>>smaller scale than artichoke, for its edible root and thickened
>>leafstalk. The inflorescence and pollination relationships are
>>similar to artichoke (Bailey 1949*)."
>>
>>At a cooking workshop at Duke Cariadoc's some among us cooked
>>cardoon leaves from His Grace's garden.
>>
>>But if that quote is true, one eats the roots (and possibly the
>>stalk), not the leaves...
>>
>>Anyone with more experience care to comment?
>>--
>>Urtatim, formerly Anahita
>
>I'd say that the statement that one eats the leafstalks but not the
>leaves is akin to the statement that one eats the leaf base and not
>the leaf tips of a mature globe artichoke...
>
>Think of taking a globe artichoke and streee-eee-tching it until
>it's as long as a head of celery, but otherwise fairly similar in
>structure. That's your cardoon. You still eat the base of the leaves
>(the leaf tips are fibrous and don't have much in the way of pulp)
>and the "heart", which in the case of real cardoons, is part of the
>root.

I do not believe that is correct.

A globe artichoke is a flower bud, not a bunch of leaves. A cardoon
has chokes just like a globe artichoke--but they are tiny. What you
eat are the leaves. The rib portion looks rather like celery.
Artichokes have the same sort of leaves--a cardoon plant looks like
an artichoke on steroids. My guess is that you could eat artichoke
leaves--the rib near the base--too, although I haven't tried.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com