[Sca-cooks] Book Questions...

dale elliott el2iot2 at mail.com
Fri Apr 8 10:39:21 PDT 2005

I Would recomemand against the vinegar method.

Given the acidity of modern book papers I would expect and acidic treatment to promote the ageing process due to acidity.

Airing is the best method.  If you must rush it, the Dry Alkali nature of babking soda would be better than others.  or try fabreeze.  do it slowly 30- 60 minutes per page, so as not to promote molds.  Several light spayings are better than 1 heavy.

DO NOT RUSH.  Conservatorship is a slow art.  if you are impatient, get a friend to do it for you.

Joy
Radei

PS:  I have over 100 books 100+ years old, and I maintain them in good shape<the way I got them>  Low light, moderate humidity,65-68 degrees F,  gloves and bookstand<so as not to break the spine> when reading, Most I have made photocopies of the frequently used pages so the originals do not get the wear, my rares are kept wrapped in Acidfree linin covers, set carefully into a sealed low dust environment.

Dont mind me I am OCD.