[Sca-cooks] Pork Fruitcake - Is This a Joke?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Apr 10 09:08:15 PDT 2005

It turns up in other places. Bob Allison who had a radio show
includes it in his cookbook--
http://www.askyourneighbor.com/cbook09.htm

It's here also--
http://www.recipesource.com/desserts/cakes/36/rec3602.html  salt pork
not fresh ground

It's given as a very English recipe here--
http://www.tngenweb.org/tntable/tabk42.html

Pork Fruit Cake: One pound of pork, one cup of molasses, two cups sugar,
one pint boiling water, two eggs, cinnamon, cloves and all spice, one
tablespoon each, two teapoonfuls of cream tartar, one teaspoon soda, one
pound of raisins, chopped, flour to make it the consistency of any
stirred cake.  Chop the pork fine and turn on the boiling water; let
stand until no longer hot.  Bake very slow.  The longer it is kept the
better.  I have kept it six months and it was moist and nice.
Wouldn't it be fun to try some of these for an old fashioned family
reunion?
appears under Just for fun... some 1800s recipes!
http://www.electricscotland.com/familytree/magazine/aprmay2003/snippets5.htm

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1832,157170-231197,00.html uses ground pork.

We always cooked the meats that went into the mincemeat that then went into
the fruitcake recipe that was my great great grandmothers. I don't
recall that pork
was given as an option. Venison, beef, etc. were used.

Fruitcake weather for me is always the fall with the mincemeat being put
up first.

Johnnae