[Sca-cooks] Pork Fruitcake - Is This a Joke?

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sun Apr 10 08:04:09 PDT 2005

Greetings!  My daughter in San Francisco asked me about a Pork Fruitcake
recipe she'd found.  I said I'd ask if any of you had ever heard of such a
thing.  I wondered if it might have been based on mincemeat, although with
boiling coffee...!  The boiling liquid would do a little to help cook the
pork, but I wondered if such a low temperature even for two hours would
suffice to fully cook it.  Any comments?  Anyone want to try it??  FYI, I
will be unsubscribing (hopefully) by Tuesday.  I'll be in England for five
weeks!

>From the cookbook "125 Years of Favorites Old and
New, Vasa Lutheran Church 1855-1980", a 621 page compendium by
Minnesotan Lutherans comes the treat Pork Fruit Cake. It's in the section
called Food with a Foreign Flair.

Pork Fruit Cake by Carol Mitchener

1.5 lb ground pork
Pour 3 cups boiling coffee over pork and stir.

3 c brown sugar
2 lbs raisins
2 c nutmeats
1 lb currants
1 lb dates, cut fine(ly)
1 c citron
1 c lemon and orange peel
2 tsp soda
1 tsp allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt
6-7 c flour

Put into 4 bread pans. Bake at 275 degrees for approximately 2 hours.

Alys Katharine

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com
http://home.netcom.com/~alysk/