[Sca-cooks] Rotten meat and spices...

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Mon Apr 11 17:19:12 PDT 2005

At 16:33 -0700 2005-04-11, Chris Stanifer wrote:
>  --- Phlip <phlip at 99main.com> wrote:
>>  OK, guys, we're getting some help on the "rotten meat" issue. This is from
>>  the lady who wrote the article I forwarded the url to you guys a few days
>>  ago, where she's debunking that annoying article that keeps coming around
>>  about the bad old days.
>
>  Before anyone tries to 'debunk' the 'myth' that rotten or bad meat
> was covered up with spices, you
>  need to be made aware of several bits from Apicius in which food
> adulteration is not only
>  suggested, but recommended.  In particular I recall a section on
> making bad honey good, and there
>  are others.  I'll post the more obvious ones later this evening.

Good point.

In Viandier, the one about still being able to eat a cooked swan or
peackock a month later:

"Kill it like goose, leave the head and tail, lard or bard it, roast it golden,
and eat it with fine salt.  It lasts at least a month after it is
cooked.  If it
becomes mouldy on top, remove the mould and you will find it white, good
and solid underneath."

Thorvald