[Sca-cooks] Rotten meat and spices...

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Tue Apr 12 10:37:21 PDT 2005

At 09:15 AM 4/12/2005, you wrote:
>What of the pheasent scene from Sho-Gun.  Did the English hand the
>pheasent until the neck rotted?  or is this bunk?

Last I knew, it was a relatively recent taste.

>I know I do prefer aged meats<and not always aged properly by modern
>standards>, but that is me.  And I am sure, if you are poor enough and
>that is all you have, rotten is better than nothing.

Unfortunately, there is a bit of a 'let them eat cake' logic here. Spices
were *expensive*. They were often a way to display your wealth. If you are
so poor as to be forced to eat rotting meat (and no, I don't buy that-
people that poor seldom had meat in their diets) you aren't going to spend
what little you have on spices.

'Lainie