[Sca-cooks] Rotten meat and spices...

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 16:05:50 PDT 2005

In researching the poaching idea, I ran across
this book, which I have just ordered:

Manning, Roger B. (Roger Burrow)
Hunters and poachers : a social and cultural
history of unlawful hunting in England, 1485-1640
/ Roger B. Manning. Oxford [England] : Clarendon
Press ; New York : Oxford University Press, 1993.

xi, 255 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
ISBN: 0198203241 (acid-free paper)

It sounds like an interesting read.

Huette

--- "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at jeffnet.org> wrote:

> At 12:16 PM 4/12/2005, you wrote:
>
> >--- "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at jeffnet.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > > If you are
> > > so poor as to be forced to eat rotting meat
> > > (and no, I don't buy that-
> > > people that poor seldom had meat in their
> > > diets) you aren't going to spend
> > > what little you have on spices.
> > >
> > > 'Lainie
> >
> >I don't buy that either, but on the other
> hand,
> >I don't entirely buy the "the poor seldom had
> >meat" way of thinking either.  Yes, probably
> the
> >poor in the cities seldom had meat, but the
> poor
> >in the country had as much meat as they could
> >catch.
>
> That of course is much dependent on where and
> when. Was reading recently
> about the great famine in the early 14th
> century, and animal life fared
> little better than humans, at least in England.
> Most of what we know about
> forest laws are English, so here's a bit of
> Anglo-centric stuff...
>
> It should be remembered that many of these were
> _managed_ forests, not the
> wild 'woods' that we played in as kids (at
> least I did- back in the days
> when it was ok to play cowboys and Indians).
> The boundaries of the Forest
> may acually embrace cultivated land, even
> homesteads and small townships.
> (This can be a royal pain, as we will see
> shortly.) The _Dialogus de
> Scaccario_  says that the forests are "the
> privy places of kings and their
> great delight. Thither they go for hunting, and
> having laid aside their
> cares, to enjoy a little quiet. There, away
> from the continuous business
> and incessant turmoil of the court, they may
> for a little time breathe in
> the gracious freedom of nature. And that is why
> those who despoil it are
> subject to the royal censure alone... The
> king's Forest is a safe abode for
> wild animals, not of every sort, but of the
> sort that dwell in woodland,
> and not everywhere but in places suitable for
> the purpose... in the wooded
> counties, where wild beasts have their lairs
> and plentiful feeding grounds."
>
> >   Depending on what they were hunting or
> >fishing, some animals, like rabbits, were
> legal
> >for commoners to hunt, and others, like deer
> >or boar, were restricted.
>
> In the king's Forest, the beasts of the chase-
> red deer, fallow deer, roe,
> wild boar- could only be taken by the king or
> by someone who had an express
> warrant from the king. As to other animals,
> even if the land was part of a
> homestead or village, if the land fell within
> the Forest, the tenants were
> restricted to hares and coneys, foxes, wolves,
> badgers, etc- *AND* only if
> they had a royal license.
>
> The Forest was a wildlife refuge of sorts, but
> [...]

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for
they shall never cease to be amused.