Poaching- was Re: [Sca-cooks] Rotten meat and spices...

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Apr 12 18:09:33 PDT 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> > > Poaching is illegal today, but I don't know of anyone who ignores the
laws
> > > to supply a regular portion of their diet.
> >
> >I do.
>
> It is entirely possible. But we were talking about 'the poor', and you
seem
> to be speaking of a case or cases of individual actions- which is not the
> same thing as an entire class of people flouting Forest laws on a regular
> basis.
>
> 'Lainie

Maybe, maybe not. I don't think that your average peasant was flouting the
laws, either, any more than your average poor person runs out and shoots
himself a deer today. OTOH, I'm quite well aware of a number of people who
have helped make ends meet, particularly (several years ago) during the coal
mine strikes, and currently while trying to find jobs, now that the coal
mines are almost defunct in that area. I've dined more than once on poached
venison, and been glad of the meal. I also, at one point, was making money
by killing ground hogs for farmers (an unofficial bounty), and, because I
refuse to kill except under certain circumstances, one of which is that I
eat the meat, discovered quite a few ways to make ground hog not only
edible, but tasty.

Poaching and hunting for food is more common than you may think in this day
and age- common enough, in some areas, that the cops don't make any
particular effort to find out about it, although they won't turn their backs
when someone is particularly stupid or greedy.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.