[Sca-cooks] Rotten meat and spices...

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 18:47:41 PDT 2005

--- "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at jeffnet.org> wrote:
> So she has three sows, three cows, and a sheep. And a few chickens. It is
> clear that these animals are where she gets her meager income- she milks
> the cows (and possibly Molly) and sells the milk. Possibly sells eggs. She
> likely has the sows bread and sells the resulting piglets. She may butcher
> a pig now and then, but not often, as the only mention of meat is a bit of
> smoked bacon. What she eats apparently is the products of her animals, and
> bread. (God help her in Lent!) She doesn't eat the animals themselves (at
> least until they are old and no longer producing) any more than a wheat
> farmer eats his seed.

That's reading quite a bit into it, I think.  The mention of bacon alone indicates that she did
have ample pork as a protein source, and if she had bacon, then she likely had ham, and hocks and
shoulder and rib as well.  It would be counterproductive to slaughter the dairy cows and the goats
(at least until they were past the days of milking), but the pigs would breed rapidly (unless she
had only one) and provide ample pork for her table.

William de Grandfort

Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.