[Sca-cooks] Re:Shogun & rotted meat

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 19:06:21 PDT 2005

James Clavell was better with his Japanese life
than he was with his European life.

He based his novel on Wil Adams, who was an
actual pilot who washed ashore in Japan.  Wil
Adams lived from 1564-1620.  He wrote his
biography and called it "Wil Adams: British
Samurai".  Clavell made his hero much more
altruistic and more intelligent that Wil
Adams was.

You can find a modern biography of Wil Adams
in this book:

Milton, Giles.
Samurai William : the Englishman who opened Japan
/ Giles Milton.  1st American ed.
New York : Farrar, Straus, and Giroux, 2003,
c2002.
352 p. : ill., map ; 22 cm.
ISBN: 0374253854

But watch out.  There is a novel that calls
itself a biography called "Needlewatcher".
There are several more biographies, but I
haven't read them.

Huette

--- Devra at aol.com wrote:
>         Bear in mind that this is the novel
> which has the hero, brought up in
> Holland, tolerating a slovenly wife who never
> changes the rushes in their
> house.  The household is also stated to have
> only one female servant, even though
> the hero is wealthy enough to have bought in to
> the ship's cargo and is a
> fairly well-paid navigator.  I feel that the
> author's casual disregard of easily
> available info about Elizabethan England makes
> me wonder how accurate is his
> take on Japanese life...
>      Devra
>

> Devra Langsam
> www.poisonpenpress.com
> devra at aol.com

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for
they shall never cease to be amused.