[Sca-cooks] Re:Shogun & rotted meat

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Tue Apr 12 18:39:11 PDT 2005

        Bear in mind that this is the novel which has the hero, brought up in
Holland, tolerating a slovenly wife who never changes the rushes in their
house.  The household is also stated to have only one female servant, even though
the hero is wealthy enough to have bought in to the ship's cargo and is a
fairly well-paid navigator.  I feel that the author's casual disregard of easily
available info about Elizabethan England makes me wonder how accurate is his
take on Japanese life...
     Devra

Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com