[Sca-cooks] Rotten meat and spices... (a few excerpts fromApicius)

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Apr 12 19:57:31 PDT 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Nah.  I'm not in the mood to argue about it.  I was offering up some
tidbits for your researcher,
> to show that there has been evidence of food adulteration in the past, and
it has turned into a
> 'my favorite translator is better than your favorite translator'
situation.  Not that interested
> in the topic, to be honest.  You guys have fun with it, though.
>
> William de Grandfort

Well, Ok. I was hoping you might find some solid evidence to support your
thesis- that's why I asked. However, being an intelligent human being who
has studied this stuff for quite a while, I have also learned to judge the
sources from various objective criteria, and unfortunately, in my opinion,
Vehling is a poor source. If you had some examples to give from Flowers and
Rosenbaum, or Milham's Platina, or Curye on Englische (or however it's
spelled), or any number of a number of sources which are not only reliable,
but provide the original language and wording, so that I might check and
compare translations myself (altough I'd have to take Arabic, for example on
faith, since I don't read the language) I would be more than happy to look
at and transmit the evidence.

Until I see a distinct pattern of attempts by Medieval people to disguise
bad meat with spices, or even, opening it up a bit, a pattern of modifying
bad food to be edible from reliable sources, I'm afraid I must go with the
preponderence of the evidence and find that the premise "Medieval people ate
rotten meat and over-spiced it to disguise the taste" is a false premise.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.