[Sca-cooks] Rotten meat and spices...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Apr 12 20:33:49 PDT 2005

Also sprach Chris Stanifer:
>And slopping hogs and milking goats gives you how much insight into
>the daily life of a widow in
>Chaucerian times??  I think this goes back to the arguement that
>there are very few, if any,
>people on this forum who can actually speak from a position of
>knowledge on this matter, or any
>matter pertaining to the Middle Ages or Imperial
>Rome....particularly when it comes to the food
>and daily life of the times.  There simply isn't enough surviving
>material to base any kind of
>*expert* testimony on.  It's all conjecture, whether you have a
>degree or a dormouse...

This sounds to me like a variant on "letting the best be the enemy of
the good". It's true, we'll never know for sure about some of this
stuff, but that's no reason not to be as prepared by familiarity with
the available source material, and constantly on the lookout for new
stuff, as possible.

Perfection, or the unattainability of same, is not the issue. The
issue is that doing the best you can is generally better than not
doing the best you can.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782