[Sca-cooks] Rotten meat and spices... (a few excerpts fromApicius)

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 23:00:05 PDT 2005

--- Phlip <phlip at 99main.com> wrote:
> Forgive me for the paraphrase, but, "An if thyne spaghetti sause be saur,
> then unto itt serve an teaspoon of sygar, and serve if forthe, and it will
> be good".
>
> There is no cook of any skill in this world, who, when faced with foods
> which, for whatever reason, don't come out quite the way they intended, or
> which, for whatever reason have characteristics which are not preferred when
> fresh, doesn't attempt to correct the problem, whatever it might be. This
> does not imply a conspiracy to disguise rotten meat with excess spices, it
> indicates a cook striving for the best with ingredients which are, for
> whatever reason, less than optimum.

Interperet this however you like.  Unfortunately, we cannot ask the original author what he meant
by 'spoiled' or 'bad', so we'll just have to agree to disagree on this point.  Generally, when
someone tells me 'this stinks', or 'this smells bad', or 'that chicken tastes like five pounds of
ass', I tend to think they mean that it is 'off', or possibly putrid.  I guess what they could be
saying is that it would benefit from a tablespoon of sugar, but I like to err on the side of
caution when I'm cooking.

WdG

Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.