[Sca-cooks] Rotten meat and spices... (a few excerpts from Apicius)

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 23:21:53 PDT 2005

--- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:
> > Whatever it started to smell like, if it no longer smelled like broth, liquamen, meat or
> whatever
> > it was originally, then it's safe to assume that it had started to putrify.
>
> *snarf*
> Liquamen was made by putrifying fish, which is the source of the funny.
>
> -- Jadwiga

Right.  I wasn't taking issue with 'the funny'.  I got that.  The point was, it doesn't matter if
the recipe deals with broth, liquamen or anything else...it's poingant in the fact that it deals
with making 'bad' things 'good' again.  Broth, meat, bread...it doesn't matter.  It sets a
precedent which proves that food adulteration was at least acceptable enough to make it into one
of the more popular tomes of the age (or so we think).

WdG

Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.