[Sca-cooks] Rotten meat and spices... (a few excerpts fromApicius)

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 23:39:42 PDT 2005

--- Huette von Ahrens <ahrenshav at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Chris Stanifer <jugglethis at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > In this case, so long as the recipes were not written *after* the middle ages, then the
> argument
> > for common food adulteration remains valid.
> >
> No that isn't true.  Just as cooking in the Middle Ages has changed in the six hundred or so
> years since then, cooking changed from Apicius' time to the Middle Ages.  I would say that
> Apicius reflected his time, but not that of the Middle Ages.

The assumption, I believe, is that the recipes in question may have *actually* been written during
the middle ages (possibly later??), and not during the time of Apicius.  If this *is* the case
(and I am not saying it is) then the argumeent holds true.  The comment you take issue with above
was in reply to this theory.  If they were written during the middle ages, and they speak of food
adulteration, then it can be assumed that food adulteration was practiced during the middle ages.

WdG

Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.