[Sca-cooks] Re: (a few excerpts from Apicius)

El Hermoso Dormiendo ElHermosoDormido+scacooks at dogphilosophy.net
Wed Apr 13 09:27:26 PDT 2005

It's an interesting (and plausible) possibility - after all there do appear to
be numerous examples of authors publishing books under the names of famous
"ancient" people to lend their publications some credibility ("Basil
Valentine's" "Triumphal Chariot of Antimony", for example).

To me, the translations I've seen of Apicius describe a style of food that
don't seem similar to the documented medieval European styles of food that
I've seen (with few specific exceptions e.g. fish sauce), so I don't know
that a practice described in translations of Apicius could be assumed to
relate to medieval European practices, necessarily.  If it's genuine (i.e.
actually written by Apicius in "Ancient Rome" days) then I wouldn't assume
that any practice described in it was necessarily carried over 600+ years to
be continued in medieval Europe.  (Some may have, some may have not, some may
have been "re-discovered" independent of any ancient Roman practices.)

Combining these two thoughts, it does seem plausible that some medieval
European author could have written a book on what the author thought sounded
like ancient Roman cuisine (rather than being a "real" book from ancient
Rome) and simply ascribed it to Apicius...and this amuses me to no end,
because it brings up the possibility that people of any age always think that
"primitive" peoples from hundreds of years ago must have been forced to eat
"rotten" food because they didn't have "modern" (relative to the thinker)
culinary techniques and materials, rather than assuming that the medieval
author was dictating common medieval practices into the faked "ancient Roman"
recipes.

(The latter is pure speculation on my part out of amusement - I've not
actually seen any documentation to suggest this...except maybe Apicius itself
if it were to turn out to be a medieval work...didn't I hear somewhere that
in Renaissance Italy there was a contemporary equivalent to the SCA dedicated
to recreating "Ancient Rome"?...if so, perhaps had this same loud argument
over whether or not those poor people so long ago must have had to eat rotten
food all the time?  I guess the saying is wrong, it's not "history" that
repeats itself, it's "historians"...)