[Sca-cooks] Rotten meat and spices... (a few excerpts from Apicius)

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Apr 13 03:16:29 PDT 2005

Also sprach Chris Stanifer:
>--- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius"
><adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:
>>  Also sprach Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise:
>>  >  > >1. pg 48 - VI [9] To Improve a Broth
>>  >>  >If broth has contracted a bad odor, place a vessel upside down and
>>  >>  >fumigate it with laurel and
>>  >>  >cypress and before ventiliating it, pour the broth in this vessel...
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  What Vehling has translated as "broth" is actually liquamen, according
>>  >>  to Flower and Rosenbaum.
>>  >
>>  >One wonders what the bad odor in liquamen could possibly be? Perhaps it
>>  >started to smell good?
>>
>>  When it started to smell like meat.
>>
>>  A.
>>  --
>

>Whatever it started to smell like, if it no longer smelled like
>broth, liquamen, meat or whatever
>it was originally, then it's safe to assume that it had started to putrify.

My vote would be for early-stage rancidity. It's got some fish oils in it...

>  Unfortunately, and as
>is often the case in these early manuscripts, the author does not go
>into minute detail as to what
>he means by a 'bad odor'.  He does not write, specifically, whether
>the 'bad' odor is caused by
>cruciferous vegetables (as has been opined), or rot, or even fish
>poop.  He merely states that it
>has a 'bad odor'.  In which case I think we can all walk out on that
>limb and state, with absolute
>confidence, that 'bad' is not 'good'.  And, when faced with a 'not
>good' smelling
>broth/liqumen/meat, what does he advise???  Fix it so it doesn't
>stink any more, and serve it
>forthe...

Some fish for thought: Liquamen was apparently in some cases
something of a luxury item. It was made at sunny seaports, required a
fair amount of fish or fish byproducts to produce, and plenty of
expensive salt, and was then shipped all over the Empire. This was
not going to be a cheap item in the market.

Saving it could easily have been a sensible priority, at least
preferable to throwing it out and buying more. And note that the
process of saving it appears not to have included large quantities of
expensive spices.

Now. If we think about what liquamen/garum/halec were, and how they
were made, it surely doesn't tell us what the Roman upper classes
would have considered "a bad smell". That's fact. On the other hand,
we can offer, you should excuse the expression, an edumukated guess.
We more or less know what to expect when we know the eggs have gone
rotten. We know bad meat. and the yeasty mildew smell of moldy bread.
We know that when people say wine has gone bad, to expect something
akin to vinegar. As for liquamen, we know it was quite salty (recipes
for a quick substitute say it should start with a brine sufficiently
salty to float an egg, and recipes for the more genuine article also
involve a fair amount of salt, so actual putrescence seems fairly
unlikely. For a bad smell, we can take a line from some of the
commentary we heard here tonight. I suspect there's a line to be
drawn between the people who live on the water and those who don't.
The difference will be that those who don't live near the water will
expect bad liquamen to smell like liquamen, while those that live
near the water will expect good liquamen to smell like fish, and bad
liquamen to smell like rotten fish.

We can claim not to know what the Apicius author meant by a bad
smell, but some on, now, William. You're a food service person. You
gonna tell me you can't tell me what a funky batch of mackerel smells
like?

Ultimately, of course, it has to be fixed one way or another. For me,
the process is intriguing, but it seems to discuss mostly the masking
of one strong odor with others. In the nota about honey, I can't
decide if the honey is supposed to simply sweeten and smooth the
texture and acrid sharpness some funkified foods can have, but since
It's to abate the saltiness, I wonder if it's intended to sink to the
bottom and be racked off from above.

>If that's not evidence of tampering with bad food in anituquity,
>then I don't know what is.  of
>course, I've never slopped a hog or milked a goat before, so I'm no expert...

Well, I'm an expert. I only read about them in books, but show me the
hog who'll try giving me a hard time and I'll show you a hog with a
kicked booty, okay?

However... I may have missed part of this thread. Were we not looking
for evidence that "broken" foods such as questionable meat were being
repaired with copious use of spices?

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782