[Sca-cooks] Rotten meat and spices...

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 03:45:37 PDT 2005

--- David Friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com> wrote:
>> I'm not sure if you are saying that you have references in period
> books or in modern books to the practice.

I was saying that I had references in period books, as do others who have the same books.
However, it appears to be a matter of interpretation by the reader/translator as to whether they
wish to read 'bad' or 'spoiled' as a negative.

> That leaves you with one recipe for purifying liquamen and the
> suggestion that spoiled honey can be sold by mixing it with good
> honey. No reference to dealing with spoiled meat by spicing it.

I would redirect you to the text of my original post, in which I *thought* I made it fairly clear
that there are references to food adulteration in general.  The original idea was to give the
author in question a starting point from which to research the 'myth' that medieval cooks overly
spiced spoiled meats, not to prove the fact with a few hurried references from Apicius.  The
original intent was to offer nothing more than a precedent from which the author could begin her
research, include in her research, or ignore completely.

As I explained earlier, I am not in a mood to engage in a competition to back up my 'theory' with
endless references which will doubtless be discredited by people who have absolutely no expertise
in the subject matter.  I just don't feel like putting that much effort into it.  If you don't
trust Vehling, or your favorite authors don't trust Vehling (and you by parasitic extension), then
ignore him and offer up your own references.  I, personally, would like to see someone find
evidence that this practice was *not* common in medieval Europe.  I have yet to see anyone point
to a reference which claims that this was never done.  In fact, if the general consensus is that
this *was* a common practice (and by general consensus I mean the layman's widely held belief),
then doesn't it fall upon the theory's detractors to provide proof to the contrary??  Where are
the references pointing to the fact that medieval cooks *never* used copious spicing to make bad
meat edible??

Anyway, I'm done with this.  Forget I mentioned anything at all.  There are references to it out
there, but someone else will have to find them.

William de Grandfort

Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.