[Sca-cooks] Rotten meat and spices... (a few excerpts from Apicius)

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 14:20:47 PDT 2005

--- Chris Stanifer <jugglethis at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The original post which started this topic was a request (I believe by Phlip) for people to post
> references which might help a researcher 'debunk' the myth that medieval people heavily spiced
> some meats to mask an off (read: bad) odor or flavor.

In keeping with the idea of offering the researcher points from which to begin her research, I
submit the following link, which seems to detail the laws and customs of medieval Ipswich, in
particular where they pertain to the open vending of foods, and in particular the vending of
spoiled meats...

http://the-orb.net/encyclop/culture/towns/ipswich6.html

Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.