[Sca-cooks] Rotten meat and spices... (a few excerpts fromApicius)

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 17:08:53 PDT 2005

--- Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> > Regardless of the end use, we can begin to see how the layperson may view
> > this 'regulation' as an
> > authorization to sell spoiled meat to the consumer...and make the next
> > logical assumption that
> > folks ate spoiled meat.  And therein lies the seed for the belief that
> > medieval folks ate spoiled
> > meat.
> >
> > William de Grandfort
>
> The end use is the point in question and can not be determined from the
> facts in evidence.  From the regulation, the premise that "folks ate spoiled
> meat" can not be proven true or false, therefore the reasoning is erroneous
> and the belief is fallacious based upon this specific instance of reference.
> Without further refining data, the exsistence of the regulation does not
> support either side of the debate.
>
> Bear

You missed the point, I believe.  The average person, when viewing information such as mentioned
above, is more likely than not going to take what they see as gospel, wihtout worrying about
further refining data.  The average person is not a food historian, who wishes to view all sides
of an arguement before coming to a conclusion.  When confronted with a regulation which states
that you can only sell spoiled meat in a certain part of town, they are going to assume, more
often than not, that spoiled meat was eaten.  And that, I believe, is how these kinds of 'myths'
get started.... "well, I saw a regualtion from medieval Ipswich which allowed people to sell
spoiled meat in front of the pillory..."

WdG

Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.