[Sca-cooks] Re: Martino Corno's pasta recipe?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Apr 15 08:52:01 PDT 2005

Also sprach Christiane:
>Johnnae,
>
>Thanks to you and Kiri for your help; what irks me about this is
>that even the Italian Websites say exactly the same thing.
>
>As an aside, the reference to such pasta as "tria" is still a
>dialect word for pasta in Sicily and southern Italy today. According
>to Mary Taylor Simeti and other food writers, it comes from the
>Arabic itrjia (for string). And finding that out cleared up a
>mystery for me as to why my grandma occasionally referred to
>vermicelli or spaghetti as such.
>
>The general fact that there seems to have been a 12th century pasta
>factory near Palermo seems to be undisputed. How the Arab-Sicilians
>cooked it and with what, I don't know, but I keep stumbling across a
>modern-day recipe for pasta with chickpeas "tria e ceci" most often
>attributed to Lecce. Guess where the Muslims who were pushed out of
>Sicily were resettled or fled to?
>
>So I offer this modern-day recipe that has very deep roots:
><snip>
>Soak the chickpeas with a little baking soda overnight; rinse and
>drain. Simmer the chickpeas with the bay leaves, celery,  and a
>little salt until tender; keep adding water so there is an inch of
>water over the chickpeas at all times, you're going for soupy here.
>Boil the pasta; drain and set aside. In a large frying pan, fry the
>finely minced onion and one clove of garlic, crushed, in the olive
>oil until browned. Take the other two cloves, and brown them in
>another pan with some oil until browned, then remove. Fry half the
>pasta in the garlic-infused oil until crisp. Then add the drained
>boiled pasta to the chickpeas (do not drain the chickpeas), mix
>well, let sit for a few moments, and top with the fried pasta.
>
>There are variations of this recipe adding crushed red pepper,
>tomato, rosemary, and anchovies. It must be made with fresh pasta,
>however, otherwise it's just pasta e ceci.
>
>Is there a similar Arab dish? Now I am really curious

First look at this:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~westher/recepten/RISHTA.htm

Then see this:

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/islamic_wo_veggies.html#8

The second is a period Islamic recipe for rishta: it's a little
different, but there's a recognizable common subtext, I'd say.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04