[Sca-cooks] Re: crustarde - crust or filling

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at cornell.edu
Fri Apr 15 09:48:28 PDT 2005

>         There's a certain tendency in English to transfer meanings. I
> believe
>that it is called something like 'schnectady' (it's a VERY long time since I
>was in college.) You find that the meaning moves from a thing to something
>near it, i.e. 'sconce' once meant 'hat', and then transferred itself to
>the head
>that was wearing it... or maybe vice versa. There are other examples - help
>me, someone!

I suspect you're thinking of synecdoche (though perhaps the denizens of
Schenectady tend to transfer terms that way :-).  Websters defines it as "a
figure of speech by which a part is put for the whole (as fifty sail for
fifty ships), the whole for a part (as society for high society), the
species for the genus (as cutthroat for assassin), the genuys for the
species (as a creature for a man), or the name of the material for the
thing made (as boards for stage).

Sandra