[Sca-cooks] Rishta (was Re: Martino Corno's pasta recipe?)

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 15 10:49:37 PDT 2005

Christiane <christianetrue at earthlink.net>
>Thank you. Very interesting, I had wondered if there were Middle
>Eastern pasta dishes, and what the period ones were (I had read the
>Miscellany so briefly and so long ago that rishta didn't stick in my
>head).

The book, "Medieval Arab Cookery", published by Prospect Books in
2001, would be of great use to you.

First, there's a substantial essay on Middle Eastern pastas written
by Charles Perry.

Then, in his introduction to the Kitab al-Tibakha, a 15th cookbook
from Damascus that is clearly NOT for the wealthy, but the average
person, Perry notes the "surprising" prominence of pasta dishes.

And, of course, there are quite a number of recipes that include
noodles or pasta in the several cookbooks, translated and published
in their entirety, along with foot notes, in "Medieval Arab Cookery",
not just in the Kitab al-Tibakha. These include, but are not limited
to rishta, itriya, salma, tutmaj, and shushbarak (like ravioli or
capelletti).

I would think that "Medieval Arab Cookery" would be of use to you.
--
Urtatim, formerly Anahita