[Sca-cooks] Barm yeast

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Apr 18 07:24:37 PDT 2005

Actually, I was quibbling about your terminology and just pointing out that
there are distinct differnces between beer and ale yeasts and that it was
top fermenting ale yeast that is commonly used for baking.  The dry active
yeasts you get at the grocery are all developed from ale yeast,
Saccharomyces cerevisiae.  If you are working with an ale, then skimming the
top of an active fermentation should produce a good barm for bread.  A
bottom fermenting beer would be best siphoned from the bottom of the
fermentation where the yeast is most active although you could probably get
enough yeast by skimming the top.

In either case, barm is "the yeasty foam that rises to the surface of malt
liquors."  Barm is not sediment.  And for bakers from Pliny to the
Renaissance, barm meant top fermenting ale barm.   You might talk to your
brewing friends about  setting up a simple ale pot with a wide neck for
dipping (a one gallon jar perhaps) using malt extract and brewers yeast.
It's inexpensive, so if the experiment fails you aren't out much and it can
be repeated as necessary.  The ale produced is usually a mediocre drink, but
that wouldn't be the object of the exercise.

As for your starter, that's good work.  It is not an experiment I have
tried, so please keep me posted on how it is doing.

Bear