[Sca-cooks] Barm yeast

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Apr 16 06:52:03 PDT 2005

Sediment?  Whachoo wan sediment for?  Proper barm is taken from the top of
an active ale pot where the top fermenting S. cerevisiae bubbles merrily
along.  S. cerevisiae is the yeasty beast found in baker's yeast or brewer's
yeast.  If you're doing beer, that is usually S. carlsbergensis (sic?) and
is bottom fermenting.  It will work, but it is not the barm being discussed
in the recipes.  There are some 18th and 19th Century recipes for washing
sediment to extract yeast, so it may be that any malt liquor was fair game
later on.

With a starter, you use about one cup for one to two pounds of flour,
replacing one cup of the liqour in the recipe.  Using a barm, I would do the
same, replacing one cup of water with one cup of barm for one to two pounds
of flour.  The first rise may take anywhere from 2 to 12 hours, depending on
the potency of the yeasty beasties.  The second rise will be faster.

With a very stiff starter (like the dough balls the French use), you would
pull of a chunk weighing six to eight ounces and break it apart in the
liquor to help scatter the yeast through the dough.  Again, roughly a cup
for one to two pounds of flour.

You may want to modify the amount of starter you use as you get a feel for
how your starter works.

Best of luck on the project.

Bear