[Sca-cooks] The rotten meat thread

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 18 19:42:22 PDT 2005

el2iot2 at mail.com wrote:

>your defination of "koshering" is not entirely correct.  Kosher slaughter requires the animal to be strung up living and have it's throat cut so that the blood may run out, thereby removeing many of the poisins that would gather in the meats of an animal that did not bleed to death.  The use of salted brine is a mock koshering technique often used to lenghten the life of meats.  Ask any Rabbi if you have question about keeping kosher.  Although I am not a Talmutic scholar, nor am I of jewish birth, I have been exposed to many things<including helping 2 jewish boys prepare for thier Bah Mitzva's>.

There is a difference between kosher slaughter and kashering meat.  Both
are necessary before meat can be consumed by an observant Jew.  Meat
that has been properly slaughtered still needs to have the last
remaining traces of blood removed from it.  This is done either by
broiling the meat, or by soaking and salting it before cooking.  Liver
is an exception to this rule, and can *only* be kashered by broiling.

http://www.jewfaq.org/kashrut.htm#Blood

--
Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom