[Sca-cooks] deer and turkeys

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Tue Apr 19 07:01:31 PDT 2005

There are areas near where I live where the deer are a major
menace. This topic is hotly debated and no real solution has
presented itself. Personally, I would rather see the deer trapped
and slaughtered (hunting with guns or bows in a populated area is
just dangerous and asking for trouble, IMO)with the meat either
donated to a soup kitchen or sold to people who like venison.

I am not a hunter but most of my family is. We have a story in my
family about my Uncle Bubba (yes, his real "name") rolling over in
bed and my aunt thinking he was getting frisky until he grabbed
the gun from under the bed and shot a buck through the bedroom
window (yes, it was open). Granted, they live miles from their
nearest neighbor in South Texas.

There is a big market for venison, at least here in Texas, but
just about the only way to get it is to hunt it yourself. While I
personally don't think I could pull the trigger on a deer that
wasn't charging at me, I appreciate good venison and take my share
from the yearly harvest. If we harvested the deer and sold the
meat, then we would be able to fund the program. If people
consider hunting inhumane (I'm borderline on that one...I think
there are too many hunters that don't know what they are doing.)
then trapping them and slaughtering them humanely might be a
better, if more expensive, way to deal with it.

The new issue that is arising comes from the natural predators
that are now following the food. Coyotes are coming into the
suburbs and they are attacking people and pets. They also bring
rabies and other health issues into the neighborhoods. I had to
call animal control last year because of a rabid raccoon in my
neighborhood and I'm well within the city limits. The raccoon was
out in daylight "attacking" cars. I don't think importing natural
predators would really help the problem, it would just change it.

This is my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Ysabeau