[Sca-cooks] OT Hunting was Re: deer and turkeys

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Apr 19 15:13:25 PDT 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> > I hear all this about rifles and the range the the bullet can travel.
> > Doesn't anyone hunt with shotguns? 410s, 20 gage, 16 gage, 12 gage;
> > squirrels, birds on the wing, deer hmmmm?
>
> Curiousity-- can you hit a squirrel with a shotgun and still have
> anything left to cook?
>
> --
> -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa,

Of course you can, and do, Jadwiga. There's quite a bit of variance in shot
shells, and you match your load and your choke to the type of hunting you're
doing, just as you match your serving dishes to the meal you're serving. You
would present a cornish hen on a turkey platter, any more than you'd present
a turkey on a saucer. Shotgun shells come in assorted sizes, not only for
the gun, but for the shot in the shell, and you'd use one type for doves,
and another for geese.

Only time I ever sewriously damaged a carcass was the first time I went
hunting with my dad. He had taken me to a pheasant farm, which supplied a
dog and a guide, and the guide needed to wander over to the little boy's
room, so my dad and I continued hunting. The dog would point, and the guide
would flush, normally- in this case, I flushed, and let my dad have first
shot. He missed and I hit, but the bird was only 10 feet above me, so I blew
its wing off. Normally, the birds would be 50 to 100 feet away.

The other thing you do, if you have a good shotgun, is adjust the choke to
conditions. A variable choke is a contraption on the end of the gun barrel
which lets you shoot a tight shot pattern, or a loose shot pattern,
depending on how you adjust it. In this case, I was intending to shoot birds
at a distance, so the tight pattern put a lot of shot in a small area, and
that's why I blew the bird's wing off.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.