[Sca-cooks] OT Hunting was Re: deer and turkeys

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Tue Apr 19 18:23:33 PDT 2005

Was written:

There's quite a bit of variance in shot
> shells, and you match your load and your choke to the type of hunting
you're
> doing, just as you match your serving dishes to the meal you're serving.
You
> would present a cornish hen on a turkey platter, any more than you'd
present
> a turkey on a saucer. Shotgun shells come in assorted sizes, not only for
> the gun, but for the shot in the shell, and you'd use one type for doves,
> and another for geese.

I thought that one also some what matched the gage to what a person was
hunting.  While I never hunted, my brother used to and with a 410... read a
very small shotgun.   If I recall correctly, he hunted small game with it.
Deer down south, IIRC, are hunted in heavy brush with dogs and 12 gages.
The 12s are loaded with either buckshot or slug neither of which will, as I
understand it, travel very far.

Tis odd.... my brother was the sportsman hunter and would bring home dinner.
I was paid for my shooting and only shot on the range.  Of course all my
targets were man shaped.

Daniel
formerly a 1Lt. in the 3rd ACR