[Sca-cooks] cooking grains in beer

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 20 11:56:43 PDT 2005

I am not positive, but in reading about the Frisian language and having written to Nanna
about Faroese, I am not sure that they would have understood each other.  Faroese is
related to Icelandic.  Nanna said that she could definitely read it, but understanding
the spoken words was more difficult.  In reading the article that I sent earlier about
Frisia, the varying villages of Frisia couldn't understand each other, even though they were
speaking the same root language.  I believe that Dutch and German speakers might pick
up a word or two, but probably not comprehend any more than we would.  English is a
Germanic language also and there are many common words between English and German and
English and Dutch, but that would not help the average English speaker understand either
German or Dutch.

Huette

--- "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at jeffnet.org> wrote:
> At 03:52 AM 4/20/2005, you wrote:
> >No, Tyr sings in Old Faroese, not Old Frisian.
> >
> >http://www.tyr.net/videors.asp?Cmd=9&ID=55
>
> You're right about that. I remembered wrong. But with good reason- Faroese
> and Frisian are related, being neighboring branches of the same linguistic
> tree, Faroese being in the North Germanic branch, Frisian the West
> Germanic. I can't remember if they can be understood by each other. Modern
> German and modern Dutch can, but I don't know about the older languages.
>
> 'Lainie

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for
they shall never cease to be amused.