[Sca-cooks] OT: Photos of my elevation

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 20 16:55:37 PDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net>

Hee!  You look muchly like a wimpled deer in headlights.

I was no better of course:
http://home.earthlink.net/~selene/kitchen/id10.html

Selene

Ah.  You prefer the goldfish reaction, I see.  Always a popular choice.  I was trying very hard to maintain some (outward) composure.  I'm not sure how well I succeeded, because the King kept whispering, "Are you all right?" as I was kneeling there.

When my name was called, I stumbled forward uncertainly, but remembered to curtsey, and managed to kneel without toppling over.  The King (the outgoing King) grinned down at me.  "I understand you tell stories."

I confessed that this was so.  I was baffled.  I already had received the Kingdom award for bardic arts.  He ought to know that.  I decided it would be a faux pas to say anything.

"And you embroider..."

I nodded.  Where the heck was this going?  I already have the Manche, the EK award for the arts & sciences. It would be a lot more difficult for the Royalty to overlook that (not to mention that it's a polling order, and I would have noticed my name on the poll).

"And you cook..."

The East has an award for cooking and autocratting called the Burdened Tyger.  It is given by the Royalty for a job well done at an event which They attended.  I had not cooked at any event at which Their Majesties were present.  I hadn't *been* at any event at which Their Majesties were present.

"People have been noticing the things you do..."  And before the Terrible Suspicion could fully form itself in my mind, the herald called in the Order of the Laurel.

I won't bore everyone with the full tale, seeing that Phlip (AKA the conniving, deceitful b*tch) has already done it for me.  :-)  I will say that she was wrong about one detail.  During the ceremony, my mind was not racing wildly.  I was, if not calm, quite focused.  Especially, I was taking a piece of advice I received during my vigil, and listening very attentively to the things that were being said about me.  Afterwards, I was shaking like aspic in an earthquake...

Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom