Correction Re: [Sca-cooks] More Translations of Portuguese Food Stuff (long)

Robert Downie rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 20 19:00:42 PDT 2005

Many thanks to Hauviette from the MK Cooks list for the correction on
one of the terms I was uncertain about:
Faerisa

You wrote from the translation " To him “assa-fétida” (a resinous syrup
extracted from <celery?>) is/has an <<appetizing bitterness, like that
of olives>> and cinnamon smells like oregano, <but with a milder scent>>."
This must be Asafoetida (meaning "stinky root")- or Indian Hing which
was used by Romans as a substitute for sylphium. IT has a garlicky
bitter flavour, but I've never had it fresh so can't speak for the
resin. I've only been able to find the powder.