[Sca-cooks] medieval steaks

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Thu Apr 21 07:09:36 PDT 2005

I don't have any hard documentation on it, but when I lived in
Germany one of my favorite restaurants had been running for over
400 years in Idar-Oberstein. I can't remember the exact date but I
seem to remember it was late 1400's to early 1500's. The specialty
of the house was steak and they claim to have been serving it
since they opened. It was called spiessbraten and was delicious -
they had pork and beef. They cooked it over a fire on a round
grill that hung by a chain. The "pit" was in a room off to the
side of the restaurant. The restaurant itself is built into the
side of the mountain. The other buildings around it are as old as
the restaurant.

http://www.turm-schaenke.de/rost.htm

This is a link to the page showing how they cook the steaks.

Most of the medieval kitchens I saw didn't have a "stove" like we
think of it. I think it would have been a lot more difficult to
try to sear a steak in a pan over a fire than to put it on a grill
to cook. In the convent kitchen I visited, there was a four by
four area (give or take) in the corner that was set off by raised
bricks that served for cooking. There were pullies and swing arms
for getting the food over the fire. I imagined they would keep a
fire going and scoop coals out to the edges to control the heat.

As I said, no hard documentation, just what they told me and what
I saw. I believe they did have thick slices of meat cooked on a
metal grill over a fire in the middle ages.

My two farthings,
Ysabeau