[Sca-cooks] Faroese

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 20 21:58:35 PDT 2005

'Lainie commented:
> You're right about that. I remembered wrong. But with good reason-
> Faroese
> and Frisian are related, being neighboring branches of the same
> linguistic
> tree, Faroese being in the North Germanic branch, Frisian the West
> Germanic. I can't remember if they can be understood by each other.
> Modern
> German and modern Dutch can, but I don't know about the older
> languages.

Does this Faroese have some relationship to the Faroe Islands? A quick
web search confirms my thought that the Faroe Islands are north of
Scotland, but says the language there, Faroese, is descendant from old
Norse. The Norse having settled the islands in the 9th century. I
didn't think old Norse was from Germanic roots.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com