[Sca-cooks] Faroese

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Wed Apr 20 22:35:04 PDT 2005

At 09:58 PM 4/20/2005, you wrote:

>Does this Faroese have some relationship to the Faroe Islands? A quick web
>search confirms my thought that the Faroe Islands are north of Scotland,
>but says the language there, Faroese, is descendant from old Norse. The
>Norse having settled the islands in the 9th century. I didn't think old
>Norse was from Germanic roots.

There is a nifty website here: http://www.omniglot.com/writing/faroese.htm
with info on the islands, settlement, and language development. And yes
Stefan, Old Norse is a Germanic language. There's info on the development
of Old Norse (including the 'donsk tunga' that Faroese comes from) and
other dialects here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Norse_language

I'll let you browse- I've been chained to the sewing machine most of today
and I'm too toasty to 'splain.

'Lainie