[Sca-cooks] Cacciocavallo with pasta?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 21 13:02:03 PDT 2005

Cacciocavallo

An ancient cheese, certainly made in Roman times as its recipe was described by Columella in De
Rustica in AD35 - 45. It is known thoughout the Balkan states as Kashkaval, in Turkey as Kasar
Peynir and even as far as Syria and Lebanon as Kashkawan. The transalation in all languages is
"cheese on horseback" and stems from the cheeses being traditionally hung in pairs over poles for
maturing. Like many Italian cheeses this one is eaten young but also matured for up to two years
and used like Parmesan. It is a plastic curd cheese, pear shaped and the cheeses weigh about 2kg
each.

It seems to be very expensive from this e-merchant:

http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/main/ccn_search/st/cacciocavallo/sy/productsx/ccsyn/260/prd/13930134/ccsid/369742562-32189/adtg/04190541

These e-merchants seem a touch cheaper:

http://www.gourmetfoodstore.com/cheese/cheese-details-6832.asp

http://caviarmore.com/Category.aspx?CategoryID=1286

Huette

--- Christiane <christianetrue at earthlink.net> wrote:
> There was some wondering of what kind of cheese to use with the Lombardy ravioli recipe. This
> got me to thinking of a quote from a letter to Isabella d'Este Gonzaga from one of her
> courtiers, telling her that if she visited Sicily, she would have to have one of their pasta
> dishes, dripping with cheese and butter and sugar and cinnamon. In Sicily, the cheese to grate
> and melt on pasta is cacciocavallo; this type of cheese has been made at least since the Middle
> Ages.
>
> Typically I don't think you can find this cheese in American supermarkets; so has anyone here
> ever used this cheese? How goes it compare with grana padano or parmesan or romano?
>
> Gianotta

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for
they shall never cease to be amused.