[Sca-cooks] Cacciocavallo with pasta?

Mike C. Baker / Kihe Blackeagle kihebard at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 23 20:27:31 PDT 2005

Cacciocavallo is available in the USA in semi-rural southeastern Oklahoma --
admittedly, in an Italian grocery that has been there ever since Italian
miners were brought in to work the mines, but that is where I have found it.

You can also check outlets such as Whole Foods, and I *think* that I spotted
something very similar in the deli / international section of supermarkets
while I was recently on contract in the Pittsburgh, PA region and
luxuriating in aged, smoked provolone in abundant quantity.  <f/x:
hand-waving furiously at Odrianna, with continuing good memories of the
excellent, cozy-comfortable, Cook's Collegium I attended while in the
Debatable Lands>

If you can't find Cacciocavallo itself, in my opinion a good aged NON-smoked
provolone -- particularly one that has been "hung" so it looks physically a
bit like a birdhouse gourd -- should make a reasonable substitute both for
the palate and for the texture(s).  No, it will not be the same, but I'm
talking reasonable facsimile here.

 Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker
SCA: al-Sayyid Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com OR MCBaker216 at cs.com
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen
   SFF&H Reviews and More!: http://www.sfwatcher.com